Almost everyone going to Switzerland visits the Mount Titlis. It is much popular and famous for the first rotating cable car. Up there, various attractions like an ice cave, Panorama view restaurant, ice flyer etc make the place a dream destination for tourists. One can plan a half day to full day trip from Lucerne. Other popular day trip destinations from Lucerne are Mt. Pilatus, GoldenPass Line, Gotthard Panoramic Express, and Zurich.
Mt. Titlis is mostly reached from Engelberg, situated about 45 min from Lucerne. The cable car station is located at only 10 min walk from Engelberg train station.
The next cable car is up to station –Stand. From this station, starts the famous Rotair and takes us to ‘Klein Titlis’. This is last stop to be reached by cable car. Step outside and enjoy the view of snow peaks and surrounding valleys.
Explore the peak through various hiking trails or enjoy sledding on top of the mountain. Let yourself loose on Ice flyer and fly over the glacier or relax in a cozy chair sipping warm coffee and admiring the views from the restaurant window.
One can spend as much time as they want. I will suggest keeping at least 2 hours to explore around plus travel time extra.
- Check the weather before going to Mt. Titlis. Wear layers to adjust according to the changing weather.
- If you start early from Lucerne, you can avoid long lines and can reach atop before tourist buses start approaching. But remember that the peak region may remain surrounded by clouds in the morning hours. Again, you need to check the weather.
- There are numerous cable car routes around Engelberg. One can reach almost all the peaks by one or other way. Try to explore some more regions like Jochstock, Schonegg.
- There are kids’ special areas which have playgrounds, sledding, toboggan or kids’ friendly other activities. There is one such area at the Gerschnialp, along the way to Mt. Titlis at the base.
- Engelberg is quite scenic and one can plan a night stay to discover the area more in details.